1.09.2011

Confetti Soup

Background on this soup: 
David and I thought of this on New Year's Eve when we saw it was going to be severe weather that night (we stayed in to be safe, and let me monitor the weather). We got out what we had in the fridge and started slicing and dicing! 
Originally I posted this on New Year's Eve (on the old blog)... but I thought I would share it on here too (since I deleted the other one). Now the Pioneer Woman does a great job of showing step-by-step how to cook something... I am attempting to do the same so I can keep a record of David and I's adventures in the food world. 

Confetti Soup
Ingredients:
*We used a little more than a carton of stock... depending on how "soupy" you want*
1lb Ground Beef
6 tomatoes
1 red onion
3 jalapenos (take caution... you want it REALLY spicy? Leave in most of the seeds in the penos, if not (like me), take out majority of the seeds)
3 chili peppers
4 cloves garlic
1 tbl spoon each of: cumin, oregano, and paprika
*garnish with avocado, chips, lime, sea salt

Step 1: Chop your veggies- jalapenos FIRST (take my word for it... or read below and see why)
*CAUTION
#1. Wear gloves when handling the jalapenos... I have been in pain for 2 days with swollen-red-hot hands *although that was from cleaning out over 50 jalapenos* ANYWAYS just be safe; don't wipe your eyes or anything.. 
#2. Do them first actually and wash up then do the rest. What can happen is you will do the onion and have watery eyes and start on the penos and have the need to rub your eyes and BAM you will be crying like a baby... again not that I did this, wink wink).
#3. The heat is in the veins and seeds so keep that in mind. More spicy=leave in most of the guts; less spicy=take out majority of the seeds and stuff

Step 1

Step 2: Brown your meat and put aside. And have a cookie with a glass of milk. Ha.

Step 2

Step 3: In the same pan you browned the meat off in, throw in your veggies (peppers, onion, jalapenos, garlic). Cook them off until they are soft (but not too soft... ha, this is my scale: get a veggie on a wooden spoon and touch it... you want it to have shape and not fall apart when you touch it).

Step 3

Step 4: Add back in the meat and chunks of tomato. 
Step 4


Step 5Add the stock and spices (whatever you want… we did the ones listed above *oregano, paprika, cumin*). Give it a good sniff (prepare for the spices to open up your head, ha). Let ‘er simmer (gotta give it time to soak a little).

Step 5

Step 6Now...Give ‘er a taste, check on the salt/pepper need before you get crazy… remember you are not filming a Food Network show where you need good footage; salt is beautiful going down on a dish… but come on, who uses as much as they do on tv. (Side note... a cute guy is a great taster, just throwing that out there).

Step 6

Step 7Serve it with lime, sea salt, and avocado. I was out of tortilla chips so I just crumbled up some hard taco shells (hey, I am in grad school, gotta use what I got).
 
Step 7: Final Product!
Try if you want to!  I would love to hear how someone else's Confetti soup turns out :) 

Go cook- have fun!



2 comments:

  1. that sounds amazing!! I might have to try that this week! If I do, I'll let you know how it goes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks girl... for sure let me know if you try it!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts... I love to hear from y'all!