No need to buy taco seasoning when you can make your own!
David and I found this recipe here...
and we doubled it...
cause we love it!
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
|Ingredients... yup 9 of 'em|
|More Sea Salt|
|Combine the spices|
|That is somewhat hypnotising... don't stare at it too long|
|1-2 Tablespoons of this goodness will turn anything into amazing|
|Throw it in with some meat= awesome nachos|
Speaking of nachos... since it seems everyone is either snowed or iced in...
lets warm it up by having NACHO NIGHT!
|One last squeeze of lime|
This seasoning can also make DAVID's MEXICAN SOUP... we made it Monday and it has been great to have this week with my sickly-ness
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 15oz. cans of organic fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 15oz. cans of black beans
- 1 15oz. can of corn
- 1 heaping tablespoon of minced organic garlic
- 2 pounds of diced fresh tomatoes
- 4 cups of vegetable stock
- Sea Salt/Pepper
- 2 tablespoons of TACO SEASONING (shown above)
- Serve with lime, chips, and avocado :)
- Wash all your vegetables and go ahead and cut your onion up and dice your tomatoes.
- Open your cans of beans and corn. Drain and rinse these under cold water. This just gets rid of some of that sodium from the canning process.
- Get a skillet and cook your beef and drain most of the fat off now sprinkle your taco seasoning and give it a good stir-- don't stress out and try to get every drop of fat because you will end up dumping out the meat.... I have had a close call or two ;)
- Set aside meat. Now put your olive oil in your SOUP POT and warm it up over medium heat. When you can "swirl" the olive oil around in the pan (to coat the bottom) throw in your onions. Cook the onions until they are clear.
- Throw in your garlic.
- Put your diced tomatoes in... juices and all.
- Continuing over medium heat still--- dump your beef, corn, black beans, fire roasted tomatoes, and stock in the pot.
- Let it simmer... so turn it down to between low/medium heat. 10-15 minutes to get it all warm throughout.
- Taste and now add sea salt and pepper to your liking. REMEMBER YOU CAN ALWAYS ADD more later :)
- EAT UP
It made 10 servings... and took us under 30 minutes to make... great reheated! Just bring some lime to squeeze on top. The fresh lime (even with reheats) just livens it up and gives you the fresh factor!
Today is my mom's birthday! Happy birthday Momma :)
|She is beautiful... and sweet... and makes me pancakes :)|
And teaches me how to shop... bargain shopping of course!
Love you Momma!
Hope everyone is super careful driving (if you have to)... if you don't have to get out stay in and drink coffee and have a cookie and snuggle with your loved one(s) :)
Enjoy the true winter God gave us this year!
Sending love and laughter,